vrijdag 4 januari 2013

Tuscan Holiday Table Talk – La Befana - Pierotucci

See on Scoop.it - Good Things From Italy - Le Cose Buone d’Italia



“There is no Santa Claus in Italy.”






Harsh words indeed from my beloved grandfather, Batiste, as I sat at his knee just two weeks before Christmas many years ago. He was recounting to me tales of his poor childhood in Italy. I looked up into my grandfather’s face, and smiling brightly told him, “that’s ok Pop, we live in Australia and he comes here every year so don’t worry. I’m getting a brand new bike!” He gave that exasperated sigh I often heard when I was around him. I’m sure deep down he realised I was a lost cause, but he persisted with the Befana Legend.


He told me that as a child, he had to wait until January 6, The Feast of the Epiphany, to get his presents. I was still wondering who the “Epiphany’s” were and how come they had his stuff, when he said that Christmas gifts were actually delivered by an old crone with a hairy mole on her chin who flew in on a broom. She was called La Befana.




See on pierotucci.wordpress.com

via Tumblr http://italianentertainment.tumblr.com/post/39675850463